The Veterans Gardening Project is back for a second season at Landmark Park!
For the fall season, our workshops will be held every other Tuesday from 9:00 – 11:00 AM at the designated community garden at the back of the park.
- August 17th – Introduction to the garden and program, answering questions, raised bed preparation
- August 31st – Planting seed or transplants for the fall, mulching, watering methods
- September 14th – Weed ID and control, common fall pests and diseases
- September 28th – Pollinators and what to plant for them in the fall
- October 12th – Composting & vermicomposting
- October 26th – Soil nutrients and fertilizing
- November 9th –Tips on saving seeds, overwintering perennials, and wrapping up beds for the winter
This project will build and strengthen the local food system while providing veterans and their families the opportunity to come together for a hands-on gardening project. The program will host a series of workshops that will cover the basics of gardening as well as other topics for those who are more experienced.
Let us know you are coming to the workshops by registering at www.aces.edu/go/vetsgardendothan or by calling the Houston County Extension Office at (334) 794-4108.
The garden will be open during Landmark Park’s normal business hours to any veteran who wishes to come out and work in the garden when there is not a workshop. There is free entry for those working in the garden and tools are available for use. If you have not participated in a workshop with us before and would like to come out to the garden, please contact Kerry Steedley at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information before going.
This project was made possible through a partnership between Landmark Park, WRC&D, and Alabama Extension. We also want to give a big thank you to our hardworking volunteers that keep the garden growing.